,Spring break is here. You decided to take the week off work and have a “Staycation” with your family. Now what? Use this time to enjoy with your family…but don’t derail a schedule and development the school year brings.
- Do start the day off writing a schedule of “Fun” things to do with your child.
- Do give each child a chance to pick something they want to add to the schedule so they each feel like they have a say in the day and are excited for their choice!
- Do play a board game.
- Do go outside and ride bikes, go for a walk, go to the park, etc.
- Do bake some cookies that the kids can decorate!
- Do an arts and crafts project using things around the house.
- Do have a dance party or play Dance Revolution on your Wii.
- Do for children ages 3-10, make a book: staple paper together and have your child dictate the story to you (or write it themselves depending on age). Then let them illustrate it!
- Do make a picnic instead of your typical lunch. Set up a blanket in the yard and enjoy!
- Do write a social story so kids know what to expect during this off time
- Do use a visual schedule each day during break
- Do keep your child on a proper sleep schedule or your tired child will not make vacation fun
- Do use these days to have quality time with your children!
Spring Break Staycation Don’ts:
- Don’t plop yourself or your kids in front of the TV all day.
- Don’t allow any nagging! Only smiles and fun suggestions!
- Don’t try to work on your day off.
- Don’t waste the day eating junk food and supplying it to your children.
NSPT offers services in Bucktown, Evanston, Highland Park, Lincolnwood, Glenview and Des Plaines. If you have questions or concerns about your child, we would love to help! Give us a call at (877) 486-4140 and speak to one of our Family Child Advocates today!