Knowing what kind of services and how to navigate the ABA world can be hard, confusing and exhausting. When looking at an ABA program, you will always want a Board Certified Behavior Analyst on your team.
Here are 5 benefits to working with a BCBA and a team approach:
- A BCBA has passed an exam that ensures he or she knows how to change behavior (both increase skills and decrease behavior) according to the principles of behavior – evidence based approach.
- Working with a team typically results in creating a large and strong support system for the child, parents, and the entire family.
- Working with a team helps to promote generalization of skills across people.
- Working with a team allows a child to receive several hours (20-30) of therapy a week with 3-4 different therapists, which helps keep sessions fun, new, and entertaining.
- Working with a team allows for different ideas to make progress across different skills and targets, especially when a child gets “stuck” on a target.
Things to keep in mind when using a team: all team members should be addressing behaviors the same way as well as teaching new skills the same way. Communication between team members is key for success. Lastly, therapists are different but implementation should be the same!
NSPT offers services in Bucktown, Evanston, Highland Park, Lincolnwood, Glenview, Lake Bluff and Des Plaines. If you have questions or concerns about your child, we would love to help! Give us a call at (877) 486-4140 and speak to one of our Family Child Advocates today!