When it is chilly outside or on a rainy spring day it can be easy to run out of indoor play ideas for your children. A great activity which is often forgotten is fort building. This activity helps to facilitate development of many important skills for children.
Benefits of Indoor Fort Building for Kids
- Planning: deciding the materials to use and a plan for how to build the fort
- Problem solving skills are required to build the fort and fix it if it falls apart
- Teamwork if made with siblings or friends
- Facilitates creative and imaginary play
- Small spaces can facilitate a calming/regulating effect for some children
- Improve core and upper extremity strength: create an obstacle course through the fort or play a game/read stories while laying on their stomach inside the fort